Monday, January 31, 2011

documenting life :: part 1

This is the first post of two that I am going to share with you how I plan to document this year. There are going to be a lot of changes this year (putting a wedding together, getting married, moving to who knows where) and I want to remember them all and be able to look back at these moments. I keep thinking way down the road when we have kids. I want them to be able to look at these things and see what we were like when we were first married and things we did.

There are three things that I am doing now that are digital. I will get to the paper things tomorrow.

1. Blogging

The main reason I started this blog was to document things happening in my life. I like to look back at old posts because it helps me remember those times. It is so much easier for me to type some things then to write them out by hand. So I am much more likely to blog about it then write it in a journal. Some examples of things I am glad I blogged about are: the story of our engagement, my very first inspiration board of what I was wanting at the moment for our wedding, and what I did to ask my girls to be bridesmaids. These all seem to be wedding related things but that is so where I am right now and where I have been for the past 6 months (and where I will be for the next 4ish months :)

I need to always remember why I created this blog. I started it for me.

2. Oh Life

I don't remember where I first heard of this but when I did I thought it would be a great way to make my 5 year journal process easier. Oh Life sends you an email everyday (you can set what time it sends) and asks you how your day was. All you do is hit the reply button and type how your day went and send it back! That's it! It is so easy to do on my phone.

Another thing I like about it is when it asks you how your day was it also shows what you wrote a week ago, a month ago, or a year ago depending on how long you have been doing it for.

If I ever get caught up in my five year journal (yes I am a little/a lot behind) I have something I can look back at to see what happened that day!

3. Pictures

I love to take pictures. And look at pictures. I think they tell events and stories the best. Since I have moved back home with my mom and her DSLR I feel like I am prone to taking more pictures. Don't ask me why but I prefer taking pictures with my mom's camera then with my point and shoot. Well I will tell you why. The pictures are so much better!

Me and Matt are planning on getting this camera before the wedding as our wedding present to each other. I also am planning on getting this lens too. As a present to myself. For getting through tax season in a tax office. Having that camera will be a wonderful thing to have at the beginning of our marriage. Can't wait to take lots of pictures! :)


See you tomorrow for the paper version of documenting life! :)

1 comments:

Unknown said...[Reply to comment]

You are gonna love the camera and the thrifty fifty. When buying all the gear for the camera don't forget a good size portable hard drive to store all the pics to come.